Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Binocular Snapshot for 05/03/2016


Donald Trump has used his early opposition to the war as a selling point in his quest for the Republican nomination.
I am now the only Republican remaining in Congress of the six in the House who voted against going to war in Iraq.
It has been both fascinating and surprising to me that what was certainly the most unpopular vote I ever cast has very slowly become possibly the most popular.

When the Bush administration learned I was leaning against the war, I was summoned to the White House and put in a small security room with National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice and CIA Director George Tenet, I asked about Lawrence Lindsey’s estimate that a war with Iraq would cost us $200 billion. The president’s main economic adviser had furnished that figure on the front-page of the Washington Post that day, or possibly a few earlier.

Dr. Rice responded, “Oh no—the war would cost no more than $50 or $60 billion” and assured me we would get some of that back from our allies.