Officials on Saturday raised the death toll from a Taliban assault on a popular Kabul restaurant to 21 people, including 13 foreigners, in one of the worst attacks on Western civilians in the 12-year war in Afghanistan.
The Taliban said in a statement that the attack was retaliation for a NATO coalition airstrike last week in Parwan province that the group claimed killed many civilians. The coalition acknowledged last week that two civilians were killed but said the operation successfully targeted insurgents
Karzai’s statement made oblique reference to the incident in Parwan, saying foreign troops must “know the difference between the victims and the terrorists.”
The deadliest blast was caused by a car bomb that exploded near a Western-style mall in the western Mansour district, killing at least six people, 74 people were wounded. At least 13 other people died in six other incidents across the city, Iraq's capital.